Thursday, March 26

My Babies

I warn you, this story WILL make you cry, so read it with caution (and not at work, like me).

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090122

Of course, as I'm reading this, I'm thinking of my Molly (or Karma, or Snickers & Penny). If you know me, you know that I love dogs. I'm a hopeless sucker for all things dog, especially puppies and squishy, squeeky toys and soft ears and yippy barks and cuddles! We were definitely a dog family growing up, and Mike and I are definitely a dog family.

Thankful thing #39. Molly and Karma. I'll start with Molly because she's my little pumpkin of a dog, and she's the one living with me now. I KNOW she will be like the dog in the story (although I hope we have MUCH more time together). This dog is always up for a good run. She loves her cows and thinks she is one of them. She loves snuggling people (she can't lay on a couch without one of us). She's full of personality, and the big sad eyes, and the squishy little body and the curly tail...ugh, she just melts my heart. She is one of my best friends and I love coming home and getting cuddles from her. I love uncurling her tail. I love kissing the soft part of her head. I love when she comes running to get me at the door. I love laying in bed with her. I love that she's a little hot box and warms me up every time we cuddle. She is the best little dog, and even though she's a Monster, we couldn't live without her. She truly has become our child.

Then there's Karma. Karmie is special on a whole other level. She was a rescue dog...dropped at my best friend's vet clinic as a baby with a deformed front paw. They called my mom to see if she still wanted a dog and mom of course said yes. Who could say no to a little puppy in a cast?? So, we named her Karma. That's what we got - she was an evil little dog to begin with. Mom and I finally got her calmed down, and right after that, Mom passed away. One of the saddest moments of my life was coming home to Karma without Mom after she passed away. I sat down with her and cuddled her and explained what happened, and I pray that she understood that Mom would never leave her willingly. Something about her changed after that - she clung to my side and slept a lot. I remember doing the same with her - we slept in the same bed, watched tv together, cuddled...neither of us were very social that year.

Long story short, when I moved out of the house into my apartment, Dad took Karma for me so she could have the yard to run in and other dogs to play with. Fast forward almost 2 years later, and Karma will finally be coming back to live with me (and Mike and Molly) on the farm. I think she will absolutely love running around with Molly and the cows. I know she will miss her Penny & Snickers (my dad's dogs) and his house - that's become her home too. But the cool thing about her is that she absolutely remembers everyone and has the biggest family of any doggie I know. Everyone loves her to pieces, and I'm thankful she's coming back to live with me. She'll bring a piece of Mom back into my everyday life, and be there for all sorts of happy times, I'm sure. This poor dog has had too much trauma in her short little life, and I want the rest of her days to be very very happy.

So, now that I'm sobbing again, I'll stop talking about my babies. I'm so thankful to be an animal person - they offer a whole different kind of love you can't get from people, that I don't believe I could live without.

All is well on the farm front. Funny story about the wedding flower shopping that I'll have to tell another time as this post is getting long enough! Have a great Thursday!

No comments: